Winter 2019
Lets call the time after the great hurricane winter. The great hurricane ended the growing season. I had been living mostly off pumpkins with the volunteers before the hurricane. Hurricane killed (by blowing the salt) all the leaves of the pumpkins, tomatoes, tamarillos and fruit trees. First after the hurricane I was obviously worried about the cottage in Lomba. My wonder and relief was great as house has withheld well. Only the roof plastic and a couple of windows had suffered a thing. And those were all minor. Even more wondrously the plastic greenhouse was still ok, even though a small tree next to it had fallen.
The thing to do after the hurricane was mostly to cut the fallen trees for firewood. Clear the path to the waterfall. And fix the roof. Fixing the roof I noticed that it had been made without a lean over plastic. That was foolish I thought and since been looking other peoples off grid houses and they have the plastic going over like the Lomba cottage has now. Also the going over part and planks that hold it, hold also the original roof planks together. Some of the leak was due the original planks being able to move independently of the other planks. So the water could get in between a single plank.
The thing to do after the hurricane was mostly to cut the fallen trees for firewood. Clear the path to the waterfall. And fix the roof. Fixing the roof I noticed that it had been made without a lean over plastic. That was foolish I thought and since been looking other peoples off grid houses and they have the plastic going over like the Lomba cottage has now. Also the going over part and planks that hold it, hold also the original roof planks together. Some of the leak was due the original planks being able to move independently of the other planks. So the water could get in between a single plank.




Comments
Post a Comment