Hello and welcome!
Looking back last year and then years living in Flores. I started wwoofer / workaway thing last year finally. Before that there had been however visitors first in Tino´s for 14 years. They could be classified as somekind of workaways. Then when I arrived, I was also living at Tino´s for several months, before I got the keys to the small house. I was doing the roof (putting earth to Tino´s roof) and a bit of gardening. Already in the small house I had a roommate for several months. However the number of visitors went up when I moved to the big house. I had the following summer 11 extra people living at one point in the houses. It calmed a bit, but I was still having so much volunteers/visitors that I finally decided to make first workaway page, then wwoofing page.
The first year with actual workaways was shadowed by deaths in Finland and near deaths in Flores. Both of which required my attention. The year had also very bad weather. Rain felt almost constant, many locals said that it felt like there was no summer. There was couple of big storms that destroyed a lot. The first one did a hit on the fruit trees near Faja. The second was even worse. It was the strongest hurricane measured in Atlantic. It calmed a lot down before hitting, but still destroyed much. The harbor in Lajes, many greenhouses. I was kind of lucky with that, but the gardens and the trees took a hit again. Salt that the hurricane brought burned leaves and stopped the harvesting season. Regardless of all that things went forward. The big house had a lot of renovations. Shelves to the garage and to the rooms. In fact things are so much more organized than in the start of the year that you have to had been here to realize the difference. Also Tino´s houses renovation (stove, wc, floor, backdoor, roof and platform) helped to move things back there. The pace of doing things could have been harder, but I see for example stove as an essential upgrade (to take humidity out at times). Renovations in Lomba made it much easier to live in and the trees recovered from the storms.
Comments
Post a Comment